Every homeowner knows that they are “supposed” to change their air filters every month. It seems like such a simple thing to do, but it is also a very easy thing to forget to do.
If air filters are not changed regularly, your system will not be working to capacity, and with this crazy central Virginia weather, we all need our ACs to work at 100%.
What Do Air Filters Do?
Well, for starters, they filter the air…but you probably suspected that.
Additional benefits include:
- filtering out allergens, such as pollen, mold, pet dander, and dust
- protecting your home from damage from larger objects that may come loose within your system
- improved indoor air quality
- lowering fire risk
- improved efficiency of your HVAC system
- lower energy bills
- less wear and tear on your HVAC system
- better airflow in your home, with more even cooling throughout the rooms
What Happens if You Don’t Change Your Air Filters Regularly?
- extra strain on the fan motor (air filters are WAY cheaper than a new fan motor…I promise)
- less efficient airflow
- increased risk of your system overheating or freezing up
- higher energy bills
- increased risk of growing mold or bacteria
- possible dirty ducts
For the sake of your health (and/or wallet), you want to avoid any of the above.
Do I Really Have to Change My Air Filters Every Month?
This simple answer is: Yes. At Mode Comfort & Air Quality, we suggest monthly filter changes especially for those with pets or those living in high pollen areas (that’s all of us here in central Virginia). Filters are inexpensive and easy to change. In fact, we discourage the use of expensive “high-end” filters, except in certain circumstances.
I can’t tell you how many times we have been dispatched to a service call, only to discover the air filter had not been changed for six months. The customer could have avoided the service call by simply changing the air filter regularly. We love our customers, and we really don’t want to charge you $69 to tell you your filters are dirty.
If you have any questions about how often you should change your filters, or what type of filters you should use, please contact Mode at 804-481-6633 or email@example.com for expert guidance. We are always happy to help.