Furnace Installation and Repair
When considering a new furnace installation, both the equipment and contractor are key.
Your new furnace should:
The contractor you choose for your furnace installation should be able to install and perform furnace repair on both oil furnaces and gas furnaces.
Oil furnaces have been providing dependable heat for a long time. They are messier and dirtier than gas models. Oil furnaces can also come with some additional costs, as oil prices fluctuate wildly and these units have to be cleaned yearly to operate safely.
Gas furnaces can operate using propane or natural gas. Both options are cleaner than oil and do not have to be cleaned as often. Another benefit to gas furnaces is that many furnace service calls are very simple in nature. On occasion, a technician may even be able to talk you through the furnace repair over the phone.
A propane furnace is a gas furnace that has been converted to operate using propane, which needs to be done by an HVAC professional who knows what they are doing. Propane can have issues with impurities, so it is not quite as clean as natural gas, and it is also more expensive. To operate a propane furnace, you will need to have a propane tank installed and have it refilled regularly.
Natural Gas Furnace
Natural gas furnaces produce less heat than propane furnaces because natural gas is less dense. However, natural gas is more uniform in its production, and has less issues with impurities than propane. Not everyone has access to natural gas, depending on where you live. You would need to contact the local gas provider to find out what your options are in regards to running a natural gas pipeline to your unit.
Interested in a High-Efficiency Furnace?
While Mode Comfort & Air Quality can perform furnace installation and furnace repair on all makes and models, we will usually recommend a high-efficiency furnace by Ruud. There are many reasons we prefer Ruud furnaces, including:
- Ruud has a full line of state-of-the-art high efficiency furnace models that come with a blanket of insulation lining the inside walls of the furnace cabinet, which minimizes heat loss.
- The Ruud Classic® Series and Classic® Plus Lines feature an induced-draft blower that works in conjunction with a hot surface ignition system to pull hot gases through the heat exchanger at a constant and controlled rate of flow. As the burner cycles off, the draft blower stops, keeping the heating air in the system and not blowing through your roof. Some older furnaces continue to send warm air traveling up the venting system and out the roof even when not in use.
- Ruud’s furnaces most often come equipped with electric ignition, eliminating the need for a constantly burning pilot. This feature alone can provide up to 6% higher efficiency. In combination with an induced-draft blower, the electric ignition can improve furnace efficiencies by over 20%.
- The Ruud induced-draft blower maintains a constant draft through the heat exchanger, which assures proper venting of the furnace combustion chamber.
- Ruud features a pressure switch that continuously monitors venting; and in the event it senses a vent flow restriction, it will automatically shut down your heating system for your safety. You may be able to reset it yourself, or you may need to call your HVAC contractor, so make sure your contractor is easily accessible.
- The most efficient of the high efficiency furnaces tap the energy of the hot vent gases, which can reach temperatures of 500 degrees Fahrenheit and up. The Ruud 90 Plus® gas furnace does this by routing the hot gases through a secondary heat exchanger. This step captures the otherwise wasted heat and uses it to preheat the household air.
A high-efficiency furnace usually costs a bit more upfront, but it can make up the difference by reducing operating costs over the long run and increasing the value of your home.
In addition to Ruud’s 10 year heat exchanger and 5 year part warranty, Mode Comfort & Air Quality provides the following for every furnace installation:
- A two-year labor warranty
- A 60-day money-back satisfaction guarantee
First Steps When Considering a Furnace Installation
Please call Mode Comfort & Air Quality at 804-481-6633 to schedule an estimate to replace or install a new furnace in your home. A qualified technician will come assess your current set-up and make suggestions for your new furnace. If you need furnace repair on an existing system, please call to schedule an appointment.