It’s Not the Heat, It’s the Humidity
In the winter, we often hear from customers who are experiencing a lack of humidity in the home. This can cause dry, cracked skin on humans and pets, in addition to warping, cracking, and other damage to household furnishings and fixtures. In these situations, we install a humidifier to balance the moisture in the home.
On the opposite end of things, in the summer, excess moisture in the home can lead to mold, allergens, musty odors, mildew, and warping furniture and floors…none of which we want in our living spaces. To combat these evils, we commonly install a whole house dehumidifier.
Benefits of a Whole House Dehumidifier
- Less sweat and clamminess on your skin (you will feel cooler).
- Minimized allergy and asthma triggers, such as mold and dust mites (both thrive in high humidity environments).
- Eradication of comfortable insect breeding grounds.
- Elimination of musty odors.
- Protection for your home, furnishings, and heirlooms from warping and permanent moisture damage.
- Improved energy efficiency. By removing the excess humidity from your indoor air, you will feel cooler at a higher temperature, enabling you to set your thermostat a few degrees higher.
We often have customers with concerns about the maintenance commitment that comes with a whole house dehumidifier. The commercial-grade Aprilaire products we install have a dedicated drain, eliminating the need to empty or change water trays.
Can’t I Just Crank Up the AC?
If your home is humid, it may seem like the answer is to lower the temperature setting on your thermostat. This may make sense on the surface because air that has too much humidity in it makes you feel warmer. I can assure you that over-cooling is not the answer; you will use more energy and still not be comfortable. If your air conditioner just can’t handle the levels of humidity you are experiencing in your home, adding a dehumidifier will boost your air conditioner’s efficiency and effectiveness.
It is as simple as it sounds: the only effective means of removing humidity is with a dehumidifier.
You may think of Mode as a heating and cooling company, but the reason our name is Mode Comfort & Air Quality is because, of course, we do heating and air conditioning, but we also specialize in other services to make the air in your home healthier and more comfortable. Contact Mode at 804-720-9185 or firstname.lastname@example.org today to find out if a whole house dehumidifier may be what you need for both your comfort and the air quality in your home.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!